Thursday, April 15, 2010

Fnal Blog Post: Teaching and Technology

I want to train my students to use technology in many ways, including research, collaboration, and making multimedia.
One thing I want to teach students to do that we did not cover in this class is how to research, whether with library databases, or Google scholar. I believe that learning to find reliable sources using the internet--and determining that they are reliable--is a very important part of English teaching.
The internet is definitely good for collaboration, typically between students, but also in other ways. I remember the IIC entry about skyping with other students across the country, with each sharing what they know. I think this is a neat idea. They gave the example of skyping with students from New Orleans.
Another way students can collaborate is with Google docs, mindmeister, and other websites. I have to admit that I prefer Google docs for word processing--essays and things--because I believe that Google will soon have a program that can handle MLA formatting, and because it's simple. We learn in education classes that students, especially ESL and lower economic class students learn best in small groups. That's why it's nice that they can collaborate online as well as in the class. However, students should not just collaborate on the internet. Face to face is very important for their social skill.
One way that students can collaborate face to face and yet with technology is when they create educational multi media together. Video is a good way to do this, as is PowerPoints, and other collaborations. One key is getting students invested in the finished product. It can be difficult to have group work when three students sit and talk while the other does all the work. That's why it's important to give each student an assignment--so that every student is responsible for their own part, and yet they collaborate as well.

I think the most important thing I learned in this class in general was how to get instructions online. I've become proficient at Googling to get instructions or videos that explain to me what to do when I'm stuck. I don't know that you taught that, but I did learn this as I worked on many assignments.
The most important thing I learned in the class for educating my future students is probably just the different options for activities: Glogster, mindmeister, online publishing, etc. Some of the best education classes are taught by the older generation and so while their methods are best because they have the most experience, they are excited to hear about the different activities you can do with your students using technology. I should keep your website handy so I can look at your ideas for personal technology projects and use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment